Stuffed Bell Peppers
I’ve probably tried a dozen recipes for stuffed peppers (not for me, but for the family) and just couldn’t find the right one- some are so watery, some lack flavor, and some are stuffed unhealthy ingredients…AND one that the kids would eat! I was about to give up and then I got a great deal on multi-colored bell peppers at the grocery store, so I decided to give it one more shot.
So for this last and final go-round, I decided to create my own recipe which is what I prefer to do anyway And why not make sure its fix-approved. And guess what! the results turned out great- try it for this week and share it with your family! FIX and kid approved!
Yield: 4 peppers
Fix Portions (per pepper): 2 Green, 1 Red, ½ Yellow, ½ Blue
- 4 bell peppers (any color)
- ½ pound 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, grated or crushed
- 1 Green container (about 1 cup) onions, chopped
- 2 Yellow containers (about 1 cup) cooked brown rice
- 2 Blue containers shredded cheddar cheese (I like Kraft triple cheddar)
- 1 tbsp each ground cumin, paprika, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp tabasco sauce (more or less to taste)
- ½ tsp salt (optional)
- Cook rice according to package instructions
- In a skillet with a little EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil), saute onion and garlic until tender. (don’t let pan get to hot) Remove from pan and set aside.
- In same skillet, brown ground turkey
- Meanwhile, chop the tops off bell peppers. Heat a large pot of water to boiling.
- Boil peppers for 3 minutes and remove. Drain on paper towels
- Open can of tomatoes and drain juice/sauce its in- but save the juice and spread it in the bottom of a small pyrex baking dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ground turkey, sauteed onions/garlic, 1 Blue container cheese, 2 Yellow containers rice, diced tomatoes, tabasco, and seasoning. Mix well.
- Fill each pepper with mixture. Top with remaining 1 Blue container cheese and sprinkle paprika on top
- Bake at 325 for 20-25 minutes
Serve and Enjoy!! ♥ Jen